It is that time of year again, when we anticipate gathering for our annual conference and holding our traditional business meeting! We have another banner year for registration – 135 and counting – but there are many who are not able to join us. Therefore, we have established a tradition of sending all of the information related to our business ahead of time, so that everyone can be part of the discussion by adding your ideas, comments, and suggestions online.
The business meeting will be held on August 4 at noon (over lunch!). Carolyn Yucha, our 2015 conference host, will chair the meeting. The tentative agenda is:
- Internet services and finance report discussion (see below, and download it here) – Leslie Nicoll
- Report on Predatory Publishing Project from last year – Peggy Chinn
- Report on student papers project – Shawn Kennedy
- Nursing Editors History Project (Leslie Nicoll and Peggy Chinn)
- Future conferences:
- London 2016 – Gary Bell (note: Gary will give the traditional “Top Ten Reasons to Attend INANE slide preview on Wednesday morning during breakfast)
- Denver 2017 – Karren Kowalski
- Cuba 2018 or 2019 – Leslie Nicoll and Joyce Fitzpatrick
- New sites to add to our list? – Boston has been suggested as a possibility
Business not finished at the meeting on Tuesday will be wrapped up at breakfast on Wednesday.
If you have other items we should include, or comments or suggestions for any of the planned agenda items – please let us know! You can use the “Contact” form here.
For your convenience, here is the Annual Report (which can also be downloaded here):
2015 Report from the Internet Resources Workgroup
The primary new accomplishment during the past year has been developing a process to maintain the Nursing Journals Directory, including a vetting process for adding new journals. The directory is a collaborative effort between INANE and Nurse Author & Editor. We began the transition in May, 2014 when Leslie Nicoll assumed the editorship of Nurse Author & Editor. Charon Pierson, Peggy Chinn, and Leslie serve as the working group to review and maintain the directory.
Website expenses for INANE and the INANE conference site are $99/yr (total $198). Annual expenses for Wufoo (used for various forms on the site, evaluations for INANE conference, and so on) is $237. Thus total Internet expenses are $435. We have approximately $1000 in the bank for Internet expenses (money raised in 2011 through “pass the hat” and from the raffle in 2014). This fund is sufficient for now; we will consider another fundraising event of some sort at the conference in 2016 or 2017.
The INANE Web site (http://nursingeditors.com)
There were 2 major additions to the INANE web site during the past year:
- Addition of the Nursing Journals Directory, and establishment of a process for vetting new journals for web site. Charon Pierson has joined the management team for the Directory and is in charge of the vetting process.
- A section under “Initiatives” that describes our predatory publishers project that we initiated at the 2014 conference, and that provides a listing of all Editorials published in relation to this project. As of June 23, 2015 there are 34 different publications (editorials, blog posts, and so on) listed at the site in connection with this initiative.
INANE Blog (http://nursingeditors.com/blog/)
We have accomplished posting on the INANE blog at least bi-weekly. The posts include announcements of new Editor opportunities, general news related to INANE projects and events, and reports related to issues of general interest to nursing editors and publishers. We have posted tributes to those of our colleagues who have died, and now provide a collection of these tributes as an “In Memoriam” feature of the blog.
Yahoo email list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NursingEditors/)
The current number of subscribers is 350 (compared to 333 at this time last year, 315 in 2013, 295 in 2012 and 250 in 2011.). People can request to join the email list by completing the “Contact” form on the web site, at http://nursingeditors.com/feedback/.
INANE Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/INANE.nursing.editors)
The Facebook Page exists primarily to link posts from the blog to Facebook, for those who prefer to read from Facebook rather than the blog itself. We have received 246 likes (compared to 161 in 2013, and 186 in 2014). In 2013, we registered our Facebook name to be https://www.facebook.com/INANE.nursing.editors which is simpler than our previous name, as well as permanent.
We are now at the point that our internet resources are quite stable, requiring only regular maintenance and periodic updates based on new initiatives. We remain eager to include additional bloggers, as well as individuals who are willing and interested in learning and participating in website management, and promotion of our social media resources.
If you are willing to be involved with any of these activities for the coming year, please let us know by completing the contact form!
Acknowledgements are extended to all who have participated in the development and maintenance of our web resources since the establishment of our independent web resources in 2009: Nancy Browne, Lucy Bradley-Springer, Wendy Budin, Peggy Chinn, Janet Fulton, Margaret Freda, Vallire Hooper, David Keepnews, Judy Lewis, Tina Marrelli, Leslie Nicoll, Charon Pierson, Kathy Schoonover-Shoffner, Mona Shattell, Suzanne Smith, Jaynelle Stichler, and Linda Thede.
Submitted by Peggy L. Chinn and Leslie Nicoll
June 23, 2015