Call for Associate Editor
Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners
The Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (JAANP) is a monthly peer-reviewed professional journal; it is a member benefit to the 75,000-nurse practitioner (NP) members of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). It enjoys a large international readership through individual and institutional subscriptions. The journal is abstracted and listed in the major medical, nursing, and social science indexes, including Journal Citation Reports, MEDLINE, and SCOPUS. Published since 1989, the JAANP provides a strong clinical focus with articles related to primary, secondary, and tertiary care, NP education, health policy, ethics and ethical issues, and health care delivery. The journal publishes original and translational research, integrative/systematic reviews, case studies, a variety of topics in clinical practice, and theory-based articles related to patient and professional education. The journal is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE).
AANP is seeking an Associate Editor who will train to assume the role of Editor in Chief (EIC) upon her retirement, transitioning into the EIC role at an appropriate time in 2018. The Associate Editor (AE) position will require approximately 20 hours per week, with variability depending on the time of year. The work schedule can be flexible aside from scheduled conference calls.
After transitioning into the EIC role, the workload will increase to at least 30 hours per week with continued flexibility around when the work is performed.
The ideal candidate for Associate Editor is a recognized NP leader at the national level and a member in good standing of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) or one of its NP Organization members. A doctoral degree in nursing or related field is preferred, but a master’s degree with significant experience will be acceptable. A strong history of publication in peer-reviewed journals is essential. Publication reviewing and/or editorial board member experience is required. Experience in research, education, health policy, or clinical practice is ideal.
Additional qualifications include
- Excellent command of English including understanding of spelling, grammar, syntax, and punctuation.
- Editing expertise using APA formatting rules.
- Ability to make logical decisions and clearly articulate the reasons for those decisions.
- Clear communication skills and ability to convey clear feedback and decisions to authors and reviewers.
- Ability to work as a team member and under deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks to bring manuscripts to successful publication.
- Experience with electronic publishing software is helpful, but a willingness and ability to learn to use these systems is critical.
- Comprehensive understanding of research, statistics, publication ethics, and evidence-based practice.
- Complete journal-related activities as assigned by the Editor-in-Chief (EIC).
- Assume the duties of the EIC as required.
- Constitute an editorial board
- Submit reports as required by AANP, the publisher, or the EIC.
- Coordinate and manage at least one special themed issue per year.
- Adhere to production schedules and deadlines established by the publisher.
- Coordinate with AANP and the publisher to maintain social media outreach.
- Participate in strategic planning for the journal.
- Advise and consult with the EIC and the editorial board on the vision for JAANP.
- Promote the journal at conferences as requested.
- Cross train to learn EIC duties
Applications should be sent to Jobs@AANP.org and should include the following:
- Letter of interest and vision for the Journal, addressed to Associate Editor Search Committee
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two of your peer reviewed and published articles
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Letters should include a statement of the strengths you would bring to this position. Please describe your long-term goals for NP scholarly publishing, including your assessment of how your qualifications contribute to your vision for JAANP as a leader in the NP publication arena. Shortlisted candidates will be notified of the next steps in the process, which may include telephone or face-to-face interviews.
Application deadline is May 31, 2017.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, and will increase with the final transition to EIC.
This is a contract position and therefore is not eligible for employee benefits. The contractor will work from a home office or location of their choosing other than the AANP office.