Last Updated 2018/02/16; total n=253
Welcome to the Directory of Nursing Journals, a joint service of Nurse Author & Editor and INANE. Use the sidebar menu on the right to navigate to each section of the Directory.
Publishers and Editors who want to be considered for inclusion in this Directory should review our process for vetting journals below, and complete our “Request for Listing” electronic form.
Process for vetting journals for listing on INANE/Nurse Author & Editor Directory of Nursing Journals
Our primary goal in maintaining this list is to help nurse authors find suitable and reputable journals in which to publish their work. We also intend this Directory to affirm, for readers and consumers of nursing literature, the credibility of literature sources used to guide practice, research, policy and education. Our vetting process draws on the COPE Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing (posted here by permission). We complete a Checklist for Journal Applications to document our vetting process.
Because the journal and publisher websites are the locations we check, if the information is not readily apparent on those sites, we cannot confirm the criteria we require. Please refer to our “Best Practices for Journal Websites” to assure that your journal website includes the vital information that we need.
What follows is a summary of our process and the expected time frame for responses.
- A request for listing is submitted by an authorized individual on the electronic request form.
- The submitter will receive an automated response that the form has been successfully submitted.
- We check the journal website using the attached Checklist for Journal Applications, a process that can take up to 7-10 days. If the process will take longer than expected, we will send you an email to tell you approximately when you will receive a decision. Our checklist was developed based on the Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publication, which is also posted here with the permission of COPE.
- Once the checklist is completed, the team (composed of 3 experienced editors of nursing journals) review the comments and make a decision to a) accept and post the journal; b) reject the request; or c) request additional information prior to making a decision. The decision process usually takes 1 to 3 days depending on the availability of the team members to confer.
- Once a decision is made, the person requesting the listing is notified of the decision by email, and the completed vetting checklist will be included. If the decision is to accept, the listing will be posted within 1 to 3 days. If the decision is to reject, the email will contain the most salient reasons for the rejection. These will be reasons that must be addressed before a journal or publisher can make a second request for listing.
Directory Management Team:
- Charon Pierson, Editor, Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (also a member of the COPE Council)
- Leslie Nicoll, Editor-in-Chief, CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing and Nurse Author & Editor
- Peggy Chinn, Editor, Advances in Nursing Science
All three members are active in INANE.