Search: Editorial Consultant, Journal of Nursing Regulation
We have an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and experienced publishing consultant to join the team at the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) as editorial project manager for the Journal of Nursing Regulation (JNR), the official journal of the NCSBN. JNR is online (click here) and indexed in Ebsco, CINAHL, CINAHL PLUS and is the only peer-reviewed journal dedicated to nursing regulation.
NCSBN is a not-for-profit organization through which boards of nursing can act and counsel together on matters of common interest and concern affecting the public health, safety and welfare, including the development of licensing examinations in nursing.
The editorial consultant will oversee the JNR’s editorial operations, including acquisitions, managing the peer review process, performing some editing of manuscripts, communicating with authors, overseeing production and design and collaborating with the editor-in-chief and other members of the editorial team to create a professional journal that is distributed on time.
This will be a part-time, independent contractor position reporting to Maryann Alexander, PhD, RN, FAAN, the Chief Officer of Nursing Regulation for NCSBN and the Editor-in-Chief of JNR. The role is preferably based in Chicago but telecommuting may be possible, depending on the candidate’s qualifications.
Primary responsibilities for the journal, which is published 4 times a year, include:
- Work closely with commercial publisher on all aspects of the editorial process from initial submission of manuscripts to mailing
- Evaluate manuscripts for potential publication, in consultation with the editor-in-chief (EIC) as needed
- Traffic manuscripts from the time of arrival through the publication process, including peer review
- Review peer reviews and collaborate with author on necessary revisions
- Review author revisions and evaluate for acceptance in collaboration with the EIC
- Maintain the editorial workflow calendar
- Oversee and direct the work of editors, copyeditor, and designer
- Edit and proofread manuscripts as needed throughout the editorial process
- Communicate with authors throughout the publication process
- Attend meetings and conferences
- Recruit potential authors ongoing
- Create and monitor manuscript submission schedules
- Collaborate with authors to develop, revise and edit manuscripts, as needed
- Plan and Develop the table of contents for each issue
- Manage the completion and submission of Continuing Nursing Education tests and applications
- Coordinate production schedule with publisher
- Coordinate mailing lists with the publisher
The editorial consultant participates on conference calls with the editorial advisory board and may represent JNR at NCSBN or other national meetings.
- Masters (preferred) in English or journalism preferred; nursing-related experience in practice or publishing a plus
- Previous experience in editorial project management preferred
- At least 4 years of editing/writing experience
- Strong problem solving skills
NCSBN is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary. To apply for this opportunity, email firstname.lastname@example.org