Call for Editor-in-Chief
American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) is seeking an Editor-in-Chief to provide vision, energy, and leadership for the Journal of the Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (JAANP).
JAANP, a monthly peer-reviewed professional journal, is a member benefit to the 75,000-nurse practitioner (NP) members of AANP. The journal is abstracted and listed in the major medical, nursing, and social science indexes, including Journal Citation Reports (Clarivate Analytics). JAANP publishes original and translational research, integrative/systematic reviews, case studies, select topics in clinical practice, and theory-based articles. The journal is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE).
The Editor-in-Chief selects and develops journal content, including original research articles, systematic reviews, and occasional special issues or supplements; manages the peer review process; appoints and directs the activities of the Editorial Board. The work schedule can be flexible aside from scheduled conference calls and will require approximately 20-30 hours per week, with variability depending on the time of year.
- Develops the editorial program and consults with the editorial board on the vision for JAANP.
- Oversees the peer-review process and approves manuscripts for publication
- Writes editorials and solicits guest editorials
- Appoints the Editorial Board and oversees the Column Editors
- Submits complete editorial materials, through Editorial Manager, to the Publisher according to established firm deadlines
- Reviews page proofs for each article and issue and transmits corrections to the production office
- Oversees the JAANP website and coordinates with AANP and the publisher to maintain social media outreach
- Conducts an annual Editorial Board meeting in conjunction with the Publisher at the annual AANP conference held in June.
- Participates in strategic planning for the journal.
- Promotes the journal at conferences as requested.
The ideal candidate is a recognized NP leader at the national level and a member in good standing of the AANP or one of its NP Organization members. A research-focused doctoral degree in nursing or related field (e.g. PhD, DNSc, EdD) and a comprehensive understanding of research, statistics, publication ethics, and evidence-based practice is required.
- Possess a broad range of research productivity and a record of successful publication
- Experience or familiarity with a broad range of research methods
- Publishing experience as an author; extensive research reviewing and/or editorial board member experience is necessary
- Computer literacy is required, as is experience with the use of social media
- Experience with online manuscript submission websites is a plus; must have willingness to learn Editorial Manager system
- Visibility, a strong network of contacts nationally and internationally, as well as an appreciation for the growing importance of advanced practice nursing globally
- Excellent command of English including understanding of spelling, grammar, syntax, and punctuation and familiarity with APA formatting
- Ability to make logical decisions and clearly articulate the reasons for those decisions.
- Clear communication skills and ability to convey clear feedback and decisions to authors and reviewers.
- Willing and able to support and promote the values of AANP and JAANP
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. The term of the Editor-in-Chief will include a gradual transition of 3-6 months with the outgoing incumbent. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This is a contract position and therefore is not eligible for employee benefits. The contractor will work from a home office or location of their choosing other than the AANP office.
Applications should be sent to Jobs@AANP.org and should include the following:
- Letter of interest and vision for the Journal, addressed to JAANP Editor Search Committee
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three of your peer reviewed and published articles
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Letters should include a statement of the strengths you would bring to this position. Please describe your long-term goals for NP scholarly publishing, including how you would balance the need for discovery science and translational science. Also include your assessment of how your qualifications contribute to your vision for JAANP as a leader in the NP publication arena, and your philosophy on the research agenda for NPs. Shortlisted candidates will be notified of the next steps in the process, which may include telephone, video, or face-to-face interviews.