If you are interested and qualify, apply now!
Application deadline: May 15, 2018
MEDICC Review, an open-access peer-reviewed journal dedicated to publishing work from Cuban and other developing-country health and related professionals, is seeking a Senior Editor, English Edition.
The journal, published quarterly, is indexed in PubMed/MEDLINE, Thomson-Reuters services, CABI Global Health & Tropical Diseases Bulletin, ELSEVIER’s EMBASE and SCOPUS, Latindex, SciELO and Redalyc.
- Scientific, preferably health-related, expertise and background.
- Bilingual English-Spanish, native English preferred.
- At least two years editing experience.
- Excellent communications and organizational skills, with particular attention to deadlines.
- Ability to travel.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Power Point and PDF
- Familiarity with Cuban health system preferred.
This Senior Editor is expected to:
- Read approximately 28 original manuscripts annually, (7 per issue, mainly in Spanish), and provide comments to the primary issue coordinator based on MEDICC Review author guidelines and recommendations from editorial staff and international peer
- Coordinate translation (with set of translators), prepare manuscripts for translation, and edit translated copy of approved manuscripts.
- Coordinate copy-editing with copy editor, and final manuscript preparation for Executive Editor and design/layout. Once layout is complete, proofread article PDFs.
- Write draft of quarterly editorial and submit to Executive Editor.
- Comment on articles for Interview, Feature and Viewpoint sections (edited by other editorial staff).
- Write quarterly post-publication email alert and coordinate proofing, according to MEDICC Review guidelines as established, and supervise other aspects of post- production.
Conditions of Appointment:
- This is a half-time position, requiring an average during the year of 20 hours per week.
- Appointment begins January 1, 2019 (flexible) for a period of three years, with an option to renew. Participation in two editorial cycles will serve as an introductory period, to determine if both MEDICC Review and the Senior Editor are satisfied with the arrangement and work performed.
- Work will be carried out in any country (preferably in the Americas), with at least one trip to Cuba annually (costs borne by employer, and legal under US travel rules).
- The Senior Editor, English Edition is supervised by the Executive Editor.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a letter of application and current curriculum vitae to Gail Reed, Executive Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org If you know someone else who would be ideal, please share this job description.
More about MEDICC Review:
With over a decade of peer-reviewed publication, MEDICC Review now has reached 40,000+ article reads monthly in its digital format, and also distributes a limited number of print issues. Manuscripts are accepted in Spanish or English, and published in English. MEDICC Review also offers an annual scientific writing course for Cuban and other Latin American professionals. The journal is published by MEDICC, a US not-for-profit organization based in California, USA, founded in 1997 to enhance cooperation among the US, Cuban and global health communities, aimed at better health outcomes and equity.