We are delighted to announce that the preliminary planning for the MEDICC and INANE People-to-People education exchange is now complete, and registration is now open! As we shared earlier this year, the date for this trip is January 15-22, 2017. The final application deadline is August 15, 2016. Deposit, passport scan and other forms due September 15, 2016
Following is the formal announcement just released by MEDICC (you can also download a PDF file with this information)
Join in this unique opportunity for an insider’s view of one of the world’s best kept secrets – the Cuban health care system, with an emphasis on the role of nursing in the system and medical/scientific publication. Cuba has attained excellent health outcomes despite scarce resources, providing a powerful example that wealth does not equal health. Several overarching Cuban philosophical approaches to health will be explored during the exchange, including:
- Integration of nursing, medicine and public health practice at all levels.
- Outcomes-based planning and evaluation.
- Continuous risk assessment at the neighborhood level.
- Targeted intervention/education based on community needs.
- Widespread community engagement in health promotion, education and planning.
- The intersectioality of health: planning programs together with community health organizations, departments of education, transportation, public works, etc.
- Emphasis on prevention.
- Interdisciplinary work-groups as a foundation for healthcare teams.
The weeklong program in Cuba will be tailored to participants’ interests and may include:
- Visit to a polyclinic and neighborhood-level doctor-nurse office; interchange with health providers and patients.
- Meeting with grassroots neighborhood organizations to see their community projects.
- Discussions with public health professionals in Cuba to understand the social determinants and risk factors affecting population health in Cuba, and their emphasis on cross-sectoral work.
- Meetings with health policymakers to compare the challenges faced in the U.S. and in Cuba.
- Exchanges with professionals involved in nursing journals and other medical/scientific publications in Cuba.
This educational exchange will be limited to 15-20 participants, who will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority will be given to professionals involved in nursing journal publication (editors, reviewers, etc.). The group of travelers will be led by a MEDICC staff or board member, who will accompany the group from Miami to Cuba and back.
Travel arrangements and costs:
MEDICC works closely with Marazul Charters, an agency with decades of experience in arranging legal travel from the U.S. to Cuba. If interested in this program, you will apply for the exchange and be notified of your acceptance by MEDICC staff. Then, you will sign a participant agreement form, and send MEDICC a $500 deposit to guarantee your place. Applicants should have passports valid for up to six months after the dates of travel (valid through 7/22/2017). Participants make their own domestic flight and hotel arrangements to/in Miami (the latter is subject to change pending the advent of commercial flights from the U.S. to Cuba before Spring 2017). One overnight in Miami will be required on January 14, 2017. The total cost for a 7-day program depends on the number of participants, hotel and ground transportation costs, and program activities, and will be approximately $3,800 – $4,800 (prices are subject to change due to extreme demand for travel and rapid change in the Cuban travel/tourism sector and cannot be guaranteed in advance.) Marazul will confirm the price once all members of the delegation are finalized and the customized program has been arranged.
Cost estimate includes:
- Pre-trip orientation, webinars and relevant readings
- Roundtrip airfare between Miami and Havana
- Lodging for 7 nights, including breakfasts and weekday lunches
- Full program of educational exchanges tailored to your expressed interests
- Ground transportation in Cuba for all program activities, including airport transfers
- A MEDICC expert and a specialized interpreter to facilitate your time in Cuba
- Health insurance while in Cuba, and Cuban academic visa facilitated by MEDICC
If you have questions please email or call Gateways Program Director Elizabeth Sayre at email@example.com / (510) 350-3564. The final application deadline is August 15, 2016. Deposit, passport scan and other forms due September 15, 2016.
Here is the link to the registration form